How do you make kohlrabi into a tasty snack? This recipe uses an airfryer to cook crisp kohlrabi into spiced fries. Once the fries are done in the airfryer, they are sprinkled with Garam Masala seasoning, adding spice and aromatic warmth to these quick veggie fries. Air Fryer Kohlrabi Fries with Yogurt Dipping Sauce are a great option to serve as a appetizer for a fall harvest party.
Thickly sliced Kohlrabi is a unique choice for french fries. This recipe uses the earthy flavors of the vegetable mixed with the warm cinnamon notes that create Garam Masala Seasoning.
The flavor of kohlrabi resembles a cross between a sweeter head of cabbage and broccoli stems. I start prepping this vegetable by cutting the top and bottom off of the bulb. I use a pairing knife to cut away the thick green skin from the outside revealing the white, fibrous flesh inside. The kohlrabi is easy to cut into, so don't be intimidated by the rough exterior, this vegetable is surprisingly easy to peel and chop.
Click Here to Check Out the Web Story for this Recipe Here
Air Fryer Kohlrabi Fries with Yogurt Dipping Sauce
An airfryer crisps these healthy kohlrabi fries up quick. The garam masala seasoning toasts to an earthy, aromatic flavor, making these the perfect fall party appetizer or side dish. Kohlrabi is an often overlooked, very versatile vegetable that can be incorporated into cooking in many ways. This recipe uses a warming spice blend to flavor the kohlrabi fries. Cooling yogurt dipping sauce with cilantro is a perfect match for dredging the french fries into even more flavor.
- 1 Air fryer
Spiced Kohlrabi Fries
- 2 Heads Kohlrabi
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Garam Masala Spice
- 1/2 Tsp Salt Sea salt
Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups Greek Yogurt PLain, Unsweetened
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds Brown
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- To cut and peel the kohlrabi, remove the top and bottom of the bulb with a sharp, butchers knife. Make sure to remove more from the bottom and check to make sure that all is left is the soft, white flesh. If the bottom looks fiberous, cut more away, the bottom has a denser flash towards the roots that is not pleasant to eat.
- Using a pairing knife, remove the outer skin from the kohlrabi, cutting away in long ribbons until all of the peel is gone.
- Slice the kohlrabi with butchers knife into uniform sticks, about 1/2 inch by length kohlrabi bulb you are working with.
- When all of the kohlrabi is sliced place into large bowl and cover with olive oil. Mix to cover kohlrabi thoroughly.
- Sprinkle Garam Masala and salt over olive oil coated kohlrabi, taking time to mix and turn the fries as needed to ensure even covering of spices.
- Place in a single layer on bottom of air fryer basket and set air fryer at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Shake air fryer basket occasionally while checking for doneness.
- The fries should be sizzling with toasted spices and crisp on the outside, you may need to adjust cooking time depending on the air fryer you are using.
Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- Place mustard seeds in a skillet pan, over low heat, toast for 2 minutes. Remove seeds from pan and place in medium serving bowl to cool.
- Chop cilantro and add to mustard seeds
- Spoon yogurt into bowl and mix to incorporate. Sprinkle with additional cilantro leaves for garnish if desired. Enjoy!