This Recipe Pairs a Savory Yogurt Rhubarb Sauce Poured over Poached Chilled Salmon. Poached Salmon with Honeyed Rhubarb Yogurt is a Dish Best Served Cold. Fresh Rhubarb is Sliced and Stirred into Cool, Tangy Yogurt while the Salmon takes on a Spicy Floral Kick, Thanks to Pink Peppercorns. Make this Meal Ahead and Enjoy the Savory Flavor of Rhubarb in an Entree.
This recipe takes slow cooking to another level using honey to macerate (break down) the normally tough stalks of Rhubarb to tender, melt in your mouth chunks mixed into a tangy yogurt sauce that works wonders with fish. Pink peppercorn adds a slight floral kick to tenderly poached salmon and pairs beautifully with rhubarb in this satisfyingly cold dish. This recipe for Poached Salmon with Honey Rhubarb Yogurt uses salmon sprinkled with pink peppercorns to bring the floral notes of Rhubarb out in a beautiful way. If you are looking to Rhubarb in a savory entree instead of the typical dessert recipes, this one is for you.
A Cooling Rhubarb Stalk Yogurt Sauce for Fish
View web story here:
Rhubarb stalks grow readily in the spring time and are available for a short period of time. Make use of this seasonal ingredient in an unexpected way by incorporating it into a cooling, yogurt sauce to pair with fish, in this case equally pink salmon. Poached salmon with honeyed rhubarb yogurt is an impressive dish, that packs a ton of flavor through different cooking methods. Don’t be put off by the long resting time listed in the recipe. This is slow cooking in it’s most simple form. By chopping the rhubarb and allowing it to naturally break down due to the sugars in honey, a process called maceration, this recipe is actually very hands off and conventiently cuts down on time spent in the kitchen. The same goes for poaching the salmon. The poaching method allows for little stove top time and the peppercorns and lemon peel infuse flavor directly into the salmon during the boiling period. The salmon finishes cooking in the hot water even after you have removed the pan from the heat.
Poached Salmon with Honeyed Rhubarb Yogurt
- 1/2 stalk Rhubarb Chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt Plain
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 Fillets Salmon about 3-4 ouces each
- 1 tsp Pink Peppercorn crushed
- 2 peels Lemon 1 inch in length each
Honeyed Rhubarb Yogurt
- Slice rhubarb stalk into thirds, then chop into 1/3 inch slices.
- Place chopped rhubarb in bowl and cover with tablespoon honey mixing gently to cover. Refridgerate at least 2 hours or overnight, macerating the rhubarb until soft.
- Place plain greek yogurt in bowl
- Mix macerated, chopped rhubarb into yogurt
Pink Peppercorn Poached Salmon
- Place both salmon fillets in medium saucepan, skin side down and sprinkle with crushed red peppercorn. Place lemon peels in pot.
- Add water until just covering salmon and place lid on top. Bring saucepan to a boil over high heat, rduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat source and allow salmon to rest in peppercorn liquid for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove salmon from pan and allow to cool in refridgerator for 30 minutes to an hour before plating. Serve poached salmon with a scoop of rhubarb yogurt. I like to serve this meal with simple, fresh spinach leaves.
Amy L EggersJune 5, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Love the pop of the pink peppercorn and the tangy rhubarb yogurt! Sounds delish