An early summer delight with almond flavor and fresh raspberries, this recipe uses the classic French baking technique of choux pastry to make sweet puffed buns using quick stove top cooking and oven baking. A filling of fresh Raspberries is perfection served as a sweet dessert ending to a meal. This recipe for Almond Choux Pastry Puff Buns With Fresh Raspberry is everything spring and summer.
Choux Pastry dough is infused with almond and baked to buttery bun decadence before a filling of raspberry pudding is spooned into the center. This recipe uses raspberries 2 ways: in the filling and placed whole on top before a dusting of powdered sugar is sprinkled on top.
Raspberries begin ripening from an opaque cream color to a deep, almost translucent ruby hue starting at the end of June in New York.
Almond Choux Puffs with Fresh Raspberry Mousse
Filled with mousse made with fresh raspberry, these almond choux puffs made with classic petit choux dough are a delightful mid summer dessert
- 2 tsp Powdered Gelatin
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 cup Raspberries
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 2 tbsp Sugar
Choux Puff Pastry
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tbsp Almond Flour
- 6 tbsp Butter salted
- 1 cup Water
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white whipped
- 1 tsp Powdered Sugar
- First we will make the mousse as it needs 1 1/2 hours to chill and set. Sprinkle gelatin into a meium bowl. Heat 2 tbsp water in saucepan over medium heat until hot (not boiling) or microwave the 2 tbsp water for 30 seconds. Pour heated water over gelatin in bowl.
- Place 1 cup raspberries in blender or bowl if using an immersion blender along with ricotta and sugar. Process until blended. Pour the gelatin over blended mixture and incorporate. If using a blender transfer to a bowl and cover. Place in refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours.
Almond Choux Pastry
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the 1 tsp almond extract to eggs and stir until smooth
- Sift flour, almond flour into a small bowl, (you will be using a saucepan to mix ingredients, so size does not matter here).
- Place 1 cup water and butter into medium saucepan with heavy bottom. Heat on medium until butter is completely dissolved ( 8 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and add sifted flour mixture. Mix vigorously until all ingredients are incorporated and the choux no longer sticks to sides of bowl and balls into the middle, about 2-3 minutes.
- Let butter flour mixture cool for 5 minutes
- Slowly stir the eggs into the butter mixture until fully incorporated, the mixture should have a glossy sheen when fully mixed, if the mixture looks dull keep mixing, about 2 minutes should produce these results.
- Place 12 rounded drops of choux batter onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 425 oven for 20-25 minutes. The choux should be puffed up and crisp with a moist center when finished.
- Remove from oven promptly and cool on rack
- Slice open each puff and fill with 2 spoonful's of raspberry mousse , top with fresh raspberries and sprinkle powdered sugar over top.
- This raspberry puff dessert is great for using an abundant fruit in season
Amy L EggersMarch 12, 2022 at 2:18 am
Love the almond in the puffs!
Somebody Feed SebMarch 26, 2022 at 3:40 am
Wow, never had almond flour choux before. Really intrigued! THanks for the recipe.
kushigaluMarch 26, 2022 at 4:44 am
Love pastries and this one looks so delicious. I will have to make this soon.
Amanda Wren-GrimwoodMarch 26, 2022 at 4:45 am
I love choux buns but have never made them with almond flour. They look delicious.
VanessaMarch 26, 2022 at 6:26 am
These are just so cute and gorgeous. The perfect summer recipe for me!
JacquelineMarch 26, 2022 at 7:04 am
I am drooling here. Those look amazing!