How to Cook Fiddlehead Ferns with a Parmesean, Garlic Seasoning. This recipe for One-Pan Garlic Parmesean Fiddleheads Ferns with Potatoes, Haddock Fish Fillet, features an array of New England Ingredients.
Fiddleheads ferns are the unfurled tops of ferns before they open up, into feathery green fronds. Fiddlehead ferns are edible and have a versatile flavor profile. The fern tops taste like broccolli rabe and have a similiar texture. Using fiddlehead ferns as an ingredient can be intimidating the first time and finding a good recipe even more so. This recipe is quick, and utilizes a layering technique to infuse flavors of garlic and parmesean into the fiddleheads, potatoes, and haddock fish.
Safely Handling Fiddlehead Ferns when Cooking
Fiddlehead ferns can be POISONOUS if not prepared properly. The first step of the recipe instructions states to boil the ferns, this is primarily to remove a natural toxin found in fiddleheads. So for safety reasons please DO NOT SKIP STEP 1 OF RECIPE! This is not to scare you off from the recipe, but housekeeping must be done and safety first must be followed. That business out of the way back to why this fiddlehead fern recipe layered with potatoes, fish and topped with lemon is a go to weeknight meal or a stunner while entertaining friends.
A One Pan Bake with Fiddlehead Ferns, a Unique Foraged Ingredient
This recipe is a great introduction to utilizing fiddlehead ferns as a kitchen ingredient. By using already familiar components like garlic and fish the ferns fit seamlessly into this dish.
One-Pan Garlic Parmesean Fiddlehead Ferns with Potatoes, Haddock Fish Fillet
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 5 to 7 ounce haddock fillet
- 1 cup fiddlehead ferns, fresh
- 1 tsp Parmesean cheese
- 5 whole new potatoes, small
- 1 lemon
- Bring meduim saucepan filled with water to boil. Add fiddlehead ferns. Boil for 8 minutes, drain ferns in strainer.
- Chop garlic to course medium pieces while ferns drain and cool. Mix garlic, olive oil and ferns in bowl coating evenly. Let ferns marinate in garlic mixure for 10 minutes.
- While ferns marinate, slice baby potatoes into thin pieces. Layer poatos on oiled sheet pan or use parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheight.
- Pour fiddlehead ferns over potatoes and spread evenly. Splinkle parmesean cheese over ferns.
- Layer haddock fillet on top of ferns and spread salt and pepper over fish. Place sliced lemon on top of haddock.
- Bake in oven 25-30 minutes or until done.