How To Easily Make Clam Chowder from a Can of Clams Healthy and Whole30 Compliant. This recipe for Healthy Greens Clam Chowder, Whole30 Compliant is loaded with Veggies! Ever wonder how to create a healthy, no guilt clam chowder? Try this recipe, (full recipe located at bottom of page) out!
This recipe calls for a healthy addition of greens to the mix, adding nutrients, ( and elevating all of those clammy feelings toward a heavy, high calorie soup). I substituted cassava flour as a thickener, almond milk for heavy cream, and added hearty winter greens: kale and cabbage. This healthy chowder is “verdant” green with a pinch of pungent dill at the end. This recipe is whole30 compliant.
The Best Healthy Clam Chowder Recipe
A can of clams whips this Whole30 Compliant chowder together in a flash and makes for an easy, vitamin filled meal. Don’t let the term “chowder” throw you off, it’s Dairy Free!
Healthy Greens Clam Chowder, Whole30 Compliant
- 2 slices bacon, sugar free, additive free
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp cassava flour (tapioca flour)
- 1 bottle clam juice 8 Fluid Ounces
- 2 cups diced white or yellow potatoes
- 1 can chopped clams 6.5 Ounce
- 3 cups Almond Milk, sugar free
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- fresh dill to taste
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- Fry the bacon over medium heat in a large sauce pan, until crisp. Remove bacon from pot, reserving the oil in the bottom of the pot. Put bacon aside for later.
- Add onion and cook 4 to 6 minutes until onion is soft and translucent, add 1/2 of salt, scrape any remaining bits of bacon up off the bottom of pan and into onions. Add flour, stir to to combine for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Adjust pot heat to low-medium Crumble bacon and add to onion, flour mixture in pot.
- Add clam juice and 1/2 of the almond milk. Add potatoes to pot and simmer, stirring periodically, for an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add can of clams, including liquid to soup pot. Add kale, cabbage, and remaining almond milk, simmer over for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add vinegar, stirring to combine. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Finish with a sprinkle of chopped fresh dill. The dill really brings out the green, herbaceous flavors of the kale, complementing the clams and chowder as a whole, beautifully.