Ever Wonder How to Mix a Drink with Cardamom?
The recipe below is extremely versatile and has many uses for adding the spicy aroma of (the third most expensive spice in the world!) to drinks and cocktails.
Crushed Pods Produce the Freshest Aroma and Taste….
The pungent aroma of green cardamom is obvious before the pods are even crushed. That is why I choose to use pods instead of powder. Crushing the pods releases the great flavor profile of the this spice.
A 4,000 Year Old Tradition
Cardamom has been a central ingredient to many cultures around the world for 4,000 years! It’s no small wonder with it’s subtle heating on the tongue and long complex spice finish. This recipe produces a sweet, spiced, sugary syrup that mixes into cocktails and drinks that are a perfect pairing along side Indian and Scandinavian cuisines.
Cardamom Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 6-8 pods Green Cardamom Pods smashed
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Water
- Add 1 cup sugar and half a cup of water to a small sauce pan, heat on high until all sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Crush cardamom with pestle until you reach a fine texture. Add crushed cardamom pods and black pepper to pot and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, then remove pot from stove and cover.
- Allow syrup to cool to room temperature in saucepan
- Strain out black pepper and cardamom pods through a fine mesh sieve
- Place in container and refrigerate until ready to use.